Saturday, August 8, 2009

From Opera to Suds

So I finally had the chance to see the Sydney Opera House from inside. Verdict?

Meh.

Not that it's not spectacular anyway, just because it's the Opera House, but I was in the smaller of the two halls that make up the House. The opera we (my friends Faeron & John included) saw was Fidelio. I ended up sitting in the third-to-last row in the back, right underneath the level above me, which, needless to say, affected the acoustics for me as a listener. However, during the second act, Faeron and I went and sat with our friend John, who happened to have two empty seats beside him-- in the third row from the front. The sound was much, much better there and I really enjoyed it. Here are some pictures of us on the perimeter of the House, the Harbour Bridge sparkling behind us.


What was really neat was seeing some of my new friends in the opera chorus! How cool?!

So, on to different events: John, my host counselor, almost caught on fire today. He was trying to make coffee by boiling the beverage on the stove in this little coffee maker contraption. Well, in the attempt to lift the contraption off the stove (using a long, fire-prone rag to grab the handle), he accidentally spilled the hot coffee all over the counter, floor and part of his leg. The rag also caught fire. Thankfully, he was not injured whatsoever. Well, except maybe his pride. ;)


That's okay, though, because you have to learn one way or another! As evident from my little mishap with their dishwashing machine. I'd never really used one before, and I put liquid soap in the little soap compartment. Filled it all the way to the top! Oopsies.

On another note, I hope to find out exactly what I'm supposed to be doing in my classes. See, I'm in three. Two ensemble classes and my voice class. I know what to do for voice, but the ensembles...no real clue. I'm going to go to the Con first thing on Monday and see what's up.

It's a lazy day today. I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment by typing it below!