Sunday, August 2, 2009

Spiritual Observations

People talk about the economy like it's the biggest thing happening in our world. People talk about television shows like they're the only thing on anyone's mind. Michael Phelps is a household name. So is Larry King. Music consumes the lives of many people. When you mention these things, no one raises an eyebrow. No one does a double-take. Not even when you talk about war or anarchy or terrorist attacks. Why? Because it's what's in our lives every day. It's what we deal with on a minute-by-minute basis. These things are important to us (some more than others) and help form our culture, beliefs and habits. Nothing wrong with that, right?

So why is God so different?

I have come to realize that when you love something, you talk about it. All the time. I talk about Brian more in one day than I can count on one hand! I talk about God more. I talk about music like it's going out of style (although that's obviously not the case). God pops into my sentences more. I'm not holier-than-thou. I'm not anything special, in blatant truth. I just love God. He is the essence of all things good, and without Him, my journey through life would be absolutely pointless.

I find it absolutely devastating that this is not the case for the majority of the people I have met here. Not just here, but back at home as well. God is further and further down the list of priorities in peoples' lives, so much so that the mention of His name causes looks of baffled anxiety. And what's interesting to me is that it's Christ and the Father and the Holy Spirit that cause such reactions. Speak your Buddhist philosophies, and people look with wonder and curiosity. Speak out your Witchcraft beliefs, and people, though perhaps wary, view you with quiet interest. Speak on the "facts" of the Atheistic worldview, and people seem undaunted. Propagate your Pluralistic ideals and people think you sane. But never speak of God and His goodness, His love and justice, His wrath and mercy; these things are only for the "brainwashed". And if you're not "brainwashed", but perhaps you're just quaint for wanting to comfort yourself with the idea of God.

This is what people think. And they continue their lives, empty and without true meaning, and they just keep trudging. And they say they are learning, and they say they are growing. But a stream that has blocked its source from pouring into it will dry up. Sooner or later it will evaporate, because it has emptied itself of its essence. No matter where it tries to replenish itself, only the spring which created it will cause it to live again.

You know what's really interesting? As I stated before, it is the Christian God that everyone seems to have real issues with. I believe that personal experience has triggered such states. One poor man fumbling along in his relationship with the Lord displayed his own faults to another, and that person took that situation and labeled all Christians the same.

How quick a non-believer will tell me they can't stand the hypocrisy of so-called "Christians" while reminding me that I shouldn't judge them. *sigh* The human condition.

God is good. No...God is great. No, He's indescribable!! His word is truth. Not religion. Why don't people get that?

I've heard it said you should avoid politics, war and religion in conversations. It seems to me that people mean you should avoid the latter, because the other two are spoken of and written about in newspapers every day!

I love people and I want to help them, but I can't do that in my own strength or will. I have nothing to give them. Only Christ is the answer. Nothing more, nothing less.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment by typing it below!