Monday, October 5, 2009

It's a Rainy Day, What Can I Say?

So much has happened since my last entry, there is no way I can update you on every detail. But I will give a good overview!

Blue Mountains:
I went with my friend Alison. Her sister and brother-in-law live in the mountains and they opened up their home to us. It has been the highlight of my time here in Australia. Finally getting away from the city was spectacular! The mountains were breathtaking. My jaw literally dropped when I got out of the car and turned to see the view. They're called the Blue Mountains because the eucalyptus leaves give off a bluish tint. I saw the Three Sisters, which are three consecutive peaks with the Aborigines legend of three sisters who were turned to stone by the gods. We walked around a lot and just took in the sights, then headed back to the house for some grub. The next day we went to the Jenolan caves where we squeezed through tiny openings deep in the earth's core. It was awesome. The climb up was definitely interesting, and quite difficult. But I made it! Alison's one of the most fun and kind girls I've met here, I'm really glad to be friends with her. I've even taught her how to make S'Mores! We almost got stranded in the mountains, though, because her car ran out of petroleum and her brake pads were on their last legs. But, we had hummus and rice crackers, so I told her we were fine. It was quite an adventure. Later I will post a short video of our railway trip back up the mountains.

Chuck & Becky:
The Masons came down for a few weeks on vacation and decided to pay me a visit. It was just what the doctor ordered, because I really needed to see a familiar face. They made me feel so special and able to do anything I put my mind to. What better encouragement could I ask for? We went to a fancy restaurant, the zoo, and then they came over to the house and had Marie's fantastic cooking. It was great!

Socializing:
I've made a few "close" friends, finally. It's so good to be able to call someone up and say, "Hey, I'm bored. Let's hang out!" My friends back at home have become my family, and I miss them terribly. But there are awesome people here too, I just need to meet them and develop relationships with them. It's strange, because I never used to find it hard to make friends. But it feels different here, for some reason. I'm just grateful for the few I do have! I hosted a girl's night a few days ago and I cooked! I have to admit, I did pretty well! It was my first time to attempt a three-course meal. I ended up only doing the main course and a dessert because I didn't plan ahead enough to make the entree. On that note, the D's and I sat down together and discussed my inability to plan ahead. I'm working my butt off to do better. It's a lot of work.

School:
I feel unmotivated to practice. I'm not looking forward to my recital very much. In fact, today may not be a good day to blog about school. Because, frankly, I feel very apathetic about it all at the moment. Kinda tired of classical music. I'm listening to my songs right now as I type and all I can think is I have no clue what you're singin' man. Shut up. Is that bad? :)

I saw a mutilated bird on the sidewalk today. Life is but a vapor. Praise God my soul is in His hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment by typing it below!