Saturday, January 30, 2010

Money "Matters" (but shouldn't)

A few days ago I went wedding dress shopping. I don't know why, but I feel very vulnerable when walking into a store where one item costs more than I can make in a month. The main displays hung on headless mannequins mock me while I peruse their cheaper, forgotten counterparts. Yet buried beneath layers of chiffon, lace, silk and other materials dubbed "feminine", there are dresses that are quite lovely. Did I purchase anything? No. But I did find a couple that I looked very pretty in. I'm not being arrogant, just truthful :D

Who began the wedding gown phenomena? I'm convinced it's another consequence of the Fall, how things are today when buying a wedding dress. That must be it! Dresses were intended to be affordable, every style perfectly fitted to every body type, and shopping for a dress was never meant to take more than one hour. Ha! I wish...

But, even if I found "the dress" today or tomorrow or whenever, I wouldn't be able to afford it. Not because I don't have the money, mind you (technically), but because I don't have the money.

"Huh? Did she just contradict herself?"

No. I'm simply describing my current predicament. This is the first time in my life I have experienced the effects of America's changing economy directly, and I must say, NO BUENO!

When looking at living expenses for Sydney, I knew I would need to raise some "extra" funds from friends and family back home in order to make ends meet. Well, the response was more than enough to make ends meet!...so I thought. I never took into account the issue of the USD dropping so significantly in value, but, OUCH! It's amazing that just a few cents can make such a difference!!

So I began studying the "wanted" ads in the local paper lately. There is a shocking need for accountants and real-estate agents in Northern Sydney! Too bad I have no skills in either area! Haha

*sigh* It will all work out, I know it. Just kinda stinks to realize that my dress-shopping was in vain, since I'm not even sure how I'll get a ticket back home!

So...who needs a vocalist with wicked photo-editing/graphics design skills? Someone told me I was a good writer. Journalist? Editor? Toilet-cleaner? Anyone? Anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment by typing it below!