Monday, January 25, 2010

BAM!

I was recently pleasantly challenged by a message focused on Psalm 69. The question asked was, "Are you finding yourself 'backing down' when you face spiritual oppression? Do you think, 'it will just be easier if I'm not so passionate'?"

Boy, have I ever!

I've discovered there's a fine line between being passionate about something and being dumb. Haha! Consider: When Emeril Lagasse cooks, boy, does he excited! Here is a clip of him doing his thing. His famous catch phrases are "bam!" and "kick it up a notch". Now, I think it's great. I get pumped when Emeril BAM!'s his way through lunch. But then, it got to be too much. They used him for a Crest Toothpaste commercial, and it was just....yeah. Unnecessary.

I have seen that my passion for Christ is very much the same. Now, I must give a forewarning that I am NOT saying anyone could ever have too much excitement for Christ. Ever! What I'm saying is that the passion for the Lord should be placed in the Lord, not in anything else. Like Emeril...his BAM should be in cooking. Not toothpaste.

Looking back on my time here in AU so far, I have to say that my passion for Christ, though unbeknownst to me at the beginning, was seeping into the cracks of other things. Self-praise. Pride. The fear of being an outcast. I was driven more by the desire to "prove I'm right" than by a genuine love for people and for them to come to know Christ. Big mistake.

But, thankfully, I see that God's not given up on me. His grace is enough!

No mistake is too big for God. He always turns our bad into His good. Always.

So, Emeril's show may not be as popular anymore, but he still has a restaurant that's booming. I may not have glorified Christ to the best of my ability in every circumstance, but I'm still here, and He's still using me. I see it. And boy, am I humbled by it.

What's wonderful about God is that no matter how little faith we have in Him being able to create good from our shortcomings, He never even blinks at "trials". He already sees the solution. And He revealed it to us two-thousand years ago on a wooden cross. Now, that is well-placed passion.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment by typing it below!