Saturday, May 8, 2010

Madre

When I was born, there you were. I clung so tight, I didn't know what else to do.

When I could talk, there you were. I babbled on and on, but you drank in every word.

When I began to walk, I had two left feet. I dawdled and ran too fast and fell many times. You were always there to guide me.

When I began to read, my imagination exploded. I interrupted your day with a hundred crazy ideas, but you never made me feel stupid. You listened intently and encouraged me to dream.

When I had that assignment in class, I freaked out. I had to dress up as BENJAMIN FRANKLIN! I had no clue what to do. But you were there, and you gave me your silk shirt and helped me look the part. I got an A.

When I fell in love with music, I sang so many wrong notes. I cracked, I squealed, and I thought I was so good. You told me I had the most beautiful voice in the world.

When I felt like an outsider at school, I would cry. I hated everyone. I hated you for letting me be me and not like everyone else. You took the blows and said nothing, silently loving.

When I thought I had found what I wanted, I was lying to myself. I lied to you, to friends. I made so many mistakes. You gave me the space I needed without leaving me completely, no matter how hard it was for you to see me suffer.

When I graduated and went to college, I chose to study music. You supported me without question and never asked me what everyone else does... "how will you make a living?"

When I gave my heart to Christ, I finally saw reality for the first time. You were awed by the change in my life, and you too gave glory to God.

When I fell in love, my focus shifted. I no longer called you first about everything, no longer told you my deepest secrets. You smiled through tear-blurred eyes and prayed for us.


Mom...

I'm still clinging to you. I love you.
I love telling you stories. I love you.
I will walk in your steps. I love you.
I still dream because of you. I love you.
I have an education because of you. (I'm ready to be done with school!!!) I love you.
You are still "the wind beneath my wings"... I love you.
I've learned to bridle my tongue, that words are diamonds. I love you.
I'm still growing and learning, thanks to you. I love you.
I will always remember your voice singing me to sleep. I love you.
I know Christ, in part, because of your faithfulness. I love you.
I am so proud to have you give me away next year (God willing!!). I love you.

Happy Mother's Day

1 comment:

  1. 23 years ago!!!! right now it seems if time has not passed, but it has. You have blossomed into a beautiful woman, not just outside, but most importantly inside. You say you love me? I adore you!!!! I am today what I am, because I knew I had two wonderful gifts from above to live for. My greatesT treasure on earth are your sister and you. Eventhough neither of you may have noticed, I have grown inmensely just by being your mom. Soon you will be coming back to us, I can not wait to hear your voice, look at you when you wake up (!!!!!) even if it's in the middle of the day, playing and joking with me and playing tricks on Midnight....but I am more anxious to hear you say again I LOVE YOU MOM....not thru the phone/e-mail....just listening to you, explaining in detail everything that has happened this long year. I want to read the Bible with you and together receive the blessings from Our Father. I love and miss you sooo much......MOM...:)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment by typing it below!