Saturday, May 1, 2010

New Twist

For some time now, I have been focusing on what I do not have.

I am not home, with all the friends and loved ones I hold dear.
I am not with my fiance, and because of that I do not have the joy of feeling his touch or looking into his eyes or laughing with him.
I do not have hugs from him.
I do not have the ability to enjoy my mom's new house, nor to help her keep her new little garden.
I  can't spend time with my sister and encourage her.
I am not home.

For this slight and momentary affliction is preparing us for an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal.


Paul is talking about the physical suffering and persecution they endured for Christ's sake, especially death. Yet, suffering is not only physical, but emotional as well. I know that being here in Australia is and has shaped my character tremendously. It teaches me to rely on God alone. And it helps me to appreciate blessings in disguise.

I have lived in two lovely homes and become a small part of two amazing families.
I have the privilege of using Skype and Gmail to communicate with my beloved in a way that is far more satisfying than scripted letters alone. I am learning to speak a new love language outside of physical touch.
I get to hug my new friends and "family"!
I have the honor to help out around the house and enjoy another's blessing of a beautiful home, garden and so much more.
I  have experienced being a "big sister" and have fallen in love with two beautiful, smiling gifts from God.
I am in Australia!

...we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not put us to shame, because God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us.

I hope in God's promises, because God is the only thing that is sure. I am fickle, and this life is so short. I am here to be made more like Christ.  

None of this really matters, in the end. My reputation, my "achievements", my engagement to Brian. It is all vanity, if the goal is not God's glory.

He must increase, and I must decrease.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Josmery, for keeping accurate perspective despite the pain and difficulty! These light and momentary troubles are not worth comparing to the glory that will be revealed in us...

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment by typing it below!